Group Presentation & Individual Post Presentation Reflection – Assessment Details & Rubric
This assessment has 2 parts and has a combined value of 20%
Part 1: 30 minute online group presentation: 10%
Part 2 : 1000 word individual post presentation reflection: 10%
Alignment with learning outcome(s):
2. Describe the social determinants of health including environmental determinants and the impact of climate change on primary and global health
3. Identify population health indicators particularly as they relate to vulnerable groups including Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
4. Critically evaluate the impact of cultural diversity on health and illness behaviour and develop strategies to incorporate the issues of cultural safety and cultural competence within nursing practice.
5. Determine barriers associated with access to, and equity in health care particularly as they relate to Indigenous Australians and people in different vulnerable groups
6. Incorporate the issues of cultural safety and cultural competence by reflecting on personally held values, beliefs and cultural orientation related to cultural sensitivity
8. Recognise the elements of therapeutic communication with particular reference to working with people from diverse cultural backgrounds and age groups.
9. Analyse the key philosophies and frameworks of primary healthcare and health promotion
10. Recognise the role of health literacy and behaviour change in improving health outcomes for various populations including, regional, rural and remote settings
Many Indigenous Australians experience poorer health than other Australians, often dying at much younger ages. Indigenous Australians are more likely than non-Indigenous Australians to have mental health problems and chronic diseases such as respiratory diseases, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and chronic kidney disease. There is also a continued high occurrence of conditions now virtually unknown in the non-Indigenous population. Notable among these are trachoma and rheumatic heart disease.
Improving the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples is a national priority. Closing the Gap is a commitment by all Australian governments to improve the lives of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander peoples (healthdirect, 2020).
Indigenous health refers to the physical, cultural, social and emotional well being of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people. Culture and connection of land is intrinsic to their well being. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander are not one group, but comprise hundreds of groups that have their own distinct set of languages, histories and cultural traditions. Therefore a culturally competent nursing workforce is vital to ensure culturally safe services that meet the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples to improve their health outcomes.
This strengths based approach assignment explores these issues, recognising the principles of primary health care, Closing the Gap targets, and the alignment with the cultural capabilities of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Curriculum which include:
Respect: Recognise Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples’ ways of knowing, being and doing in the context of history, culture and diversity, and affirm and protect these factors through ongoing learning in health care practice.
Communication: Engage in culturally appropriate, safe and sensitive communication that facilitates trust and the building of respectful relationships with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Safety and Quality: Apply evidence and strengths based best practice approaches in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health care.
Reflection: Examine and reflect on how one’s own culture and dominant cultural paradigms, influence perceptions of and interactions with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
Advocacy: Recognise that the whole health system is responsible for improving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health. Advocate for equitable outcomes and social justice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and actively contribute to social change.
Details of task:
Your group is required to deliver an evidence based 30 minute recorded power point presentation uploaded to Panopto via the assessment Dropbox that examines a health issue experienced by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People’s.
Specific details to be addressed:
1. Introduction: Introduce your team, acknowledgement of country, and the topic chosen. Explain the reasons for choosing the topic and why it is important to nursing knowledge and practice.
2. Outline the health issue including epidemiology and health indicators relating to prevalence, and underlying causes of the issue
3. Discuss the possible reasons for the health issue – historical and contemporary linking to the social determinants of health
4. Identify and analyse one evidence based health promotion strategy and one current primary health care (ACCHO) intervention that aims to improve the health outcomes for your target population.
5. Critically evaluate whether or not the interventions have been effective or not given the reasons you have provided for the health issue
6. Suggest culturally safe nursing approaches / interventions you would use to support your Indigenous clients – be specific, and targeted to the demographic and health issue chosen using a strengths based approach.
7. Conclusion: summarise the key points of the presentation and suggest recommendations for future learning or research
Use of peer reviewed, evidence based and credible literature is expected throughout presentation
Do not forget to refer to the marking rubric when developing your presentation
Preparation and presentation requirements:
• Students will be given the opportunity to select a presentation group and topic . The link is in the assessment section on Moodle and will be made available to students on Friday 26 February to choose their topics and groups
• Depending on student numbers there may be 2 groups of 5
• Each groups needs to select a team leader.
• Each student in the group will be expected to present for approximately 7-8 minutes. The presentation is timed and marks will be deducted for going over time.
• The team leader of each group will be expected to upload the completed team charter by 1600 on 28 May 2021.
• More information about the team charter will be provided in the workshops. The team leader coordinates the team but is not expected to do all the work . The team is expected to support each other and share the workload
• The presentation must be a recorded power point, uploaded to Panopto via the Dropbox.
• Your presentation needs to be engaging, clearly spoken, well researched and can include role plays, educational resources, brochures, pamphlets, music or you can create a song or art – they must be appropriate and add to the presentation.
• The presentation is to be uploaded by the team leader on behalf of the team – include the group number when uploading the presentation
• Include a reference list at the end of the presentation – use APA 7th edition. References to not be greater than 7 years old
We are a professional custom writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework.
Yes. We have posted over our previous orders to display our experience. Since we have done this question before, we can also do it for you. To make sure we do it perfectly, please fill our Order Form. Filling the order form correctly will assist our team in referencing, specifications and future communication.
2. Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section and click “PRICE CALCULATION” at the bottom to calculate your order price.
3. Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
4. Click “FINAL STEP” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
5. From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.